Monday, June 22, 2009

Understanding Islam

The New York Times actually ran an interesting op-ed today. (Surprise! Surprise!) It is most interesting because I learned something interesting that I wish to research further. (I realize some may take this as a lack of intellectual curiosity on my part. My lack of interest in researching actually stems for a lack of intellectual honesty from their content. Why bother researching a known lie or impossibility that an introductory economics student can figure out?)

The notion of "commanding right and forbidding wrong" as a central tenet of Islam is intriguing. It allows me to see more clearly why Muslim countries act as they do and are so resistant to notions of liberty. I have been impressed with Danesh D'Suza's comparison of liberty-based countries to the rest of the world. He questions the ability to be moral without free choice.

From those two points of comparison, there is a lot to be studied.

No comments: