Friday, August 26, 2005

Shiites Offer Compromise on Constitution - Yahoo! News

The AP story suggests that the last offer by the Shiites could make or break the constitutional process.

Out of all the writing that I have done as a lawyer, some of the best occurred when I threw out the draft that I had spent days on and started from scratch. It pained me. The results were usually far superior. I could see where pitfalls lay more easily. I did not have to compromise the message to make some rather sloppy drafting earlier in the piece stay.

Is this the best solution for Iraq? It would many, many more dead in the short term. It would possibly mean civil war if the second attempt failed or approached failure. It could mean resounding success if the Sunnis actually had elected persons at the table. It could mean success if the Iraqis had another chance to tighten up the number of parties in competition.

I would guess that some of the parties from the first election have died. Some politicians have proven their incompetence by now. It would crystalize the positions more clearly, which could be good or . . . .

I am not crazy about the idea, but it could be better than now. Could be.

No comments: